Thursday, May 20, 2010

LinkedInLog

I joined LinkedIn this morning, and it's already not going well.


9:12am: Joined LinkedIn. Feel good about it. Saw there were 100 people in my network. Feel okay about that too.
9:13am:No longer feel okay about the 100 people who were just emailed that I would like to link in with them. Am already getting amusing emails from friends refusing to link in with me. Not sure how my old professors, boyfriends, high school acquaintances and HR people at companies where I've sent my resume will react. ohmygod.
9:15am: Scouring facebook for a decent picture of me in hopes that a bright, welcoming smile will lessen the awkwardness of accidentally contacting the professor about whom I wrote(and hand delivered to the dean) a scathing letter.
9:19am: Turns out that of the 677 tagged photos, not one features me smiling, alone, and without a drink or random prop.
9:20am: Might be time to re-evaluate my life choices.
9:21am: No. I won't let social networking change me. I'll just hire a professional photog.
9:27am: Just google-image searched "Cat on computer" to find a picture to accompany this post. May need to revisit thoughts from 9:20.
9:48: Am wary of the "Past" field. What do they mean, exactly? I managed to upload my resume and now have SIX connections. I feel like I just figured out how to feed my Tamagochi.
1:26pm: Just polished off an entire chicken and pesto flat bread pizza. Am now up to ten contacts...meaning 1/10 of the people I accidentally emailed remember who I am. I've seen worse odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment